It is one of the basic rights which is available to all the Canadian Residents it is not only the Canadian Citizen which can sponsor their spousal. Permanent resident and protected persons also enjoy the same privileges to sponsor their partner to join then here in Canada.

There are some perquisites which need to be satisfied prior to file the application for sponsor. Please don’t hesitate to contact for further information.

Here is some important that how you may eligible for such sponsorship.

Note: You don’t need to hire a representative to prepare or submit your application. However, if you are getting help, it is important that you review the information on our website about who can give you advice, help you with your forms, communicate with us on your behalf, and/or represent you. If you pay someone or otherwise compensate them in any way in exchange for their services, they must be someone who is authorized to do so.

1.Your obligations as a sponsor

When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of your spouse or partner and their dependent children.

Basic needs are:

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living,
  • dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you must make sure the people you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll have to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you’ve repaid the amount. For more information, see the Defaults section below.


The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. The undertaking will stay in effect for the length of the undertaking period, even if your situation changes. The undertaking won’t be canceled, even if:

  • the person you sponsor becomes a Canadian citizen
  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • you or the person you sponsor move to another province or country
  • you have financial problems

2.You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Actor a permanent resident,
  • at least 18 years old
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.

You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for:

  • yourself,
  • your spouse or partner,
  • your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)
  • your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).

Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation Form with your application. If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

3.There are some restrictions when you may not be able to sponsor if you…

  • signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or partner and it hasn’t been three years since they became a permanent resident,
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
  • previously sponsored someone and did not pay back any social assistance that they received while the undertaking was in place.
  • are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond
  • did not pay court-ordered alimony or child support


Contact info

North York

1111 Finch Ave. W., Suite 300 Toronto, ON M3J 2E5


820 Markham Rd., Unit 3 Scarborough, ON M1H 2Y2